Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sunday Afternoons

I was recently told that I don’t have a “real” job.  I worked retail for almost three years and work in the church nursery, but other than that, I’ve had family jobs.

I may have been a tad childish and posted a Facebook status.

Some people keep telling me that I don't have a real job. Obviously they haven't seen my bank account. :) Jealousy is a terrible sickness. Get well soon! ♥

Stupid, yes.  Childish, absolutely.  However, I’m tired of being told that I don’t have a real job and that I don’t go to a real college.  That I don’t know what it’s like to be an adult. 

Those who work hard for things they have and to help their family aren't at all jealous of those who have grandparents to pay for everything and buy them car after car. They actually pity them and are disgusted by the way they take advantage of their family and pick Facebook fights.

I’m not going to lie, I was fightin’ mad.  (Even though I’m a total wuss and would get my butt handed to me in a split second!  Hah.)  Then I stopped and thought about it.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I've been helped in the past, yes, but since I've been working at this job, I've been able to pay for everything on my own. I'm blessed enough to be able to live with Nana and Papa and not have to pay bills and have them take me to and from school and work and I pay them some gas money. I pay my own bills though. Because of my new job, I've paid off two credit cards, will have my tuition paid off in two weeks, am saving up to buy me a car and actually have money to buy things I need and some things I just want. I'm lucky that things have worked out the way they have. I've taken things for granted a lot, I admit, but I'm trying not as much these days. Maybe it was a tad childish to post this status, yes, but it wasn't meant to start a fight.
I'm proud of the fact that I have money in the bank now and am able to save some, too. I'm finally able to start growing up a little bit more and can stand on my own two feet a little bit easier. If you pity me for that, that's your own insecurities you'll have to deal with.

Should I be blogging about this?  Probably not.  Is she going to read it?  I doubt she even read my response.  Moving away from the people I used to surround my self with on a daily basis has really shown me the kind of people they are.  It’s hard to realize something when you’re on in the inside looking out.  Now that I don’t see these people on a regular basis, as they’re inconvenienced to come out and see me, I’ve learned who I want in my life and who I don’t.

Yes, I was spoiled as a child.  That comes with being an only child of divorced parents.  I’ll be the first to admit I’m spoiled and I’m not ashamed of that.  I appreciate what I’m given, at least I do now, and that makes a huge difference.  I don’t ask for much; Momma used to have to beg me to tell her what I wanted for Christmas.

I spent this afternoon listening to Cajun music with GranGran and talking about her relatives and what is was like for her growing up in Louisiana.  Then I made a delicious supper of cornbread and milk.

Now, I can’t tell you which stories are true and which aren’t.  I can’t tell you what songs were played or what they were saying.  Yes, GranGran told me I should come by more often and not be a stranger and she still thinks I’m Leiah.  She still doesn’t understand how I turned my typewriter into a record player or how I was playing the records, but none of that matters.

Yes, I got paid to spend time with my GranGran, but for the couple of hours we were sitting her, she was happy.  She didn’t have any mood swings or get mad at me for being here. She just sat and listened to her music.

God has blessed you with a loving and giving heart, and I am so fortunate that He sent you to us. You were definitely spoiled when you were young, and that can not be your fault, as I am a member of the group. But, what would I do without you. Papa and I are so glad you could move with us, and you are able to ease the burden of having to care for both Papa and Gran-Gran. As for transportation, it will be there for you in God's time. Until then, consider the Nana/Papa department of transportation an added bonus of providing your gracious company. Love you, pretty girl.

So maybe I don’t have a common job.  Big deal.  I’m beyond blessed to spend my days with family and make a difference in someone’s life.

I can’t ask for much more.

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment